Sisters Country faces a number of demographic, economic, environmental and technological trends that are driving us into the future. Without a clear sense of direction, we run the risk of reacting to change and losing the things about our community we love the most. That’s why the City of Sisters is working with Deschutes County and the Central Oregon Intergovernmental Council (COIC) to sponsor Sisters Country Horizons.
Sisters Country Horizons is a community visioning process designed to help Sisters Country position itself for the future – retaining the things we value most while considering what we may need to change going forward. This community conversation will help us identify clear, positive directions for the future and involve local organizations, businesses and residents in making them happen.
Sisters Country Horizons will run throughout 2018. Community engagement began in March and will continue through September, focusing on creation of a vision for our community. In the fall the project will begin working on an action plan to help implement the vision. This plan will help inform and guide the decisions and actions of the City, County, COIC and other community partners going forward – from “low hanging fruit” to more ambitious projects.
A Project Management Team (PMT) representing the City, County, COIC, citizens-at-large, and the Project Consultant (NXT Consulting Group) is leading Sisters Country Horizons. In the late summer a citizen-based Vision Action Team (VAT) will be formed to guide development of the community’s vision and action plan. Stay tuned for future announcements about this group.
The following Guiding Principles reflect our philosophy of public engagement for the Sisters Country Horizons visioning process:
- Open, Inclusive. An open process that welcomes all community members and perspectives.
- Transparent. A transparent process that promotes trust, authentic expression, and the free exchange of ideas.
- Objective. An objective process based on accurate data and reliable information.
- Collaborative. A collaborative partnership that supports trust, dialogue, and ownership.
- Civil. A conversation that allows everyone to hear and be heard in a respectful, courteous way.
- Creative. A creative process that inspires curiosity and discovery.
- Visionary. A long-term vision that provides strategic direction and links to the future.
- Action-Oriented. An action plan that ensures the vision is achieved now and in the future.
- Sustainable. A plan that is accessible and enduring, ensuring on-going implementation over time.